Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Channelling my Paw Paw

This evening, as I was leaving class, I heard the tell-tale sign of the train coming through. All I could think was, "Oh, crap!" I am SO tired, and all I wanted at that point was to get home to my family.

I pulled up to the rail road crossing just as the engine was crossing over the street. A few short seconds later, the train ground to a halt. At this point, I was so very frustrated, and was muttering curses under my breath. And then I got this funny feeling...a thought that perhaps my Paw Paw Tony was there with me.

My dad's dad, Tony (one of the two grandfathers after whom Anthony is named) HATED trains. He would go out of his way to avoid trains, and if got stuck at one...well, we were guaranteed to hear a few "dirty words".

So, I did what Paw Paw Tony would do: I found another way out. AND, I successfully thwarted the train. When I drove under the over-pass a few miles away, the train was just starting to roll again. Mwah-hahahahah!!!

3 comments:

Renee said...

I think along those lines a lot. Like someone is watching down on me and causing me to do certain things. So I know exactly what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Dear Laurie: I laughed and I cried when I read about Paw Paw and the train situation. It upset him for hours if a train blocked his path. But not only that, he would drive miles out of his way to avoid a red light! We all loved him anyway and I miss him so much. Love, Gram

Anonymous said...

I have this funny feeling that if Anthony were with you, you would have stopped to let him see the WHOLE TRAIN go by. Cute memory though of your Paw Paw Tony. My philosophy is -- if we wait for all the lights to be green, we would never go - sometimes it is good to STOP. Love ya!