Friday, May 06, 2005

They Say When It Rains, It Pours

Last night I went to a friend's art show (great job, by the way, Jennifer!). When I got home, Mark told me that Anthony didn't seem to be himself during bath time. He shivered all the way through, so Mark cut bath time short. He said Anthony continued to shiver even after he had his PJs on. He wasn't running fever when I got home (about 7:30 pm), but was sound asleep which is pretty unusual for him (he usually doesn't go to bed until 8:00 pm). I heard him coughing over the baby monitor a couple of times, and he sounded like he was barking instead of coughing! It got worse over the course of an hour, and when I went in to check on him, he was practically gasping for breath and was coughing extremely hard. After taking his temp (100.4), we decided to take him to the ER, for peace of mind.

At the ER, the doctors saw him quickly. I love that about kids...they don't fool around with them and make them wait and wait and wait. The resident we had seemed really competent (as opposed to the last one we had in this same ER who couldn't keep his liver enzymes straight!), and ordered a group of tests for Anthony. A rectal temperature (ew) showed that Anthony had a temperature of 102.9 by that point. Some blood work, one IV, a nose swab, two X-rays and a turn in the Pigg-o-Stat revealed to the doctor that (thankfully) Anthony does not have RSV or pneumonia , but rather croup .

Anthony got a shot of a steroid called Decadron , and we were sent on our way. After we got home, I set up a humidifier in his room, and we all crashed (it was almost 1:00 am by this point!).

As an interesting side point, Anthony's liver enzymes stayed well below normal during this deal. I was sure they would go up a bit since we're dealing with a virus! Thank God for blood tests to ease Mommy's mind!

Mark will take Anthony to Dr. Patterson (the pediatrician) this morning, and I'll go to work. I only work until noon today, so I think I can make it four hours! Sounds like it's going to be a quiet Mother's Day weekend at home for us. I'm anxious to know what the incubation period is for croup. Obviously Anthony won't go to Day Care today, but hopefully will be able to return on Monday.

Anyway, that's the new goings on in our little world. It's never boring here, that's for sure!!

Love, Laurie, Mark and Anthony

Coming up in Anthony-land:
Friday: a visit to Dr. Patterson (again!)
Saturday: probably hanging out with Nana and Grandpa
Sunday: Mother's Day!
Monday and beyond: Stay tuned!

No comments: