Thursday, May 15, 2008

Can Someone Explain???

OK. So, can someone tell me WHY people think that a pregnant woman wants to hear how absolutely "BIG you've gotten!" Excuse me? I'm 12 pounds into my weight gain for this pregnancy. I'm 33 weeks pregnant. I think I'm looking DAMN GOOD, thankyouverymuch.

There is this very well-meaning woman at work; she is truly one of the kindest people I have ever met. Yet, she feels compelled to tell me that I'm just so BIG! "You'll never make it to 40 weeks, honey!" Hmph. I'm trying not to take her comments to heart - I know she would never say them if she thought they might be hurting my feelings. And really, she's not the annoying one.

Perfect strangers try to rub my belly (I've become an expert at pretending like they want to shake my hand or something) and say, "Wow! That's going to be a big one!" WHY are you trying to rub my belly, person I have never met? And what the HELL do you think you're accomplishing by telling me I'm fat?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Braxton Hicks contractions have begun, and I'm cranky. Bet you couldn't have guessed that one!

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Oh how I love thee, Laurie! I think you look positively smashing! :)

Laurie in Ca. said...

The only thing I can add to what you have said is to IGNORE the ignorance of other people's comments. And I think they should make a T-Shirt that says "Don't touch the merchandise". When my twins were born 37 years ago, they weighed 6lbs. and 7lbs. I WAS HUGE and people let me know it. I am surprised that nothing has changed in 37 years. People still act dumb. And don't listen to "delivery horrors", it will send you over the edge!!:) FYI- I had your belly at 4 months:) You look Great!!
Only 5l more days and you will be holding this new baby in your arms.
"CRANKY" goes with the territory.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

Love how you put the new baby's name in there, didn't know you had picked one out. Pregnancy is beautiful Laurie, and you have a gift of God inside of you - tune negativity out from those that feel they need to make comments. Love ya!

Just Me said...

We have quite a few nurses who are pregnant right now, so they have interesting stories of the things people will do or say to pregnant women! 12 pounds--that's great! I think I gained at least half that this winter and I'm over a foot shorter than you, so...I guess I should be grateful that random people aren't coming up and touching my belly!

Too bad about the cantaloupe bowl...that's sad :o(

Take care,
Amanda