Wednesday, January 10, 2007

No Cloning Necessary

My schedule this semester:

Tuesday: 9:00-3:15 - Pathophysiology
3:00 - 5:45 - Organic Chemistry Lab
Wednesday: 9:00 - 11:45 - Organic Chemistry Lecture
9:00 - 11:45 - Clinical Laboratory Management
12:30 - 3:15 - Education and Research
Thursday: 9:00 - 3:15 - Pathophysiology

Wait. What? That Wednesday schedule looks a little weird! Yesterday I was afraid that I would have to find a way to clone myself. Today, I find out that I don't need to attend the Management lecture (per my adviser who teaches that class), and that I should just attend the Organic Chemistry lecture. I'll still have to meet all requirements of the Management class, but I'll be able to do that with a one hour meeting with my adviser once a week. THANK YOU!!

In other news, there is no news. Anthony's labs were great (Prograf level was undetectable, but Omaha says that since his liver functions are perfect, there's no cause for concern at this point). School is going to be rough again this semester, but with Mondays and Fridays off, I'm hoping I can stay on top of things.

I was thinking about Anthony and his transplant stuff last night (OK, when do I ever NOT think about that!). I was realizing that three years ago at this time, we were still unsure of the severity of Anthony's condition, and how quickly his liver would start to fail. We were just two months away from his transplant, and we had no clue as to how sick he was! Check out this picture (taken around January 10th):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I can tell how yellow he is, especially since this is close-up on his eyes! But he was sleeping well, eating well, and pooping. Isn't that all a two-month old is SUPPOSED to do? Little did we know how terrible his clotting times were, how hard his liver was, how he probably had varicies (bleeding veins), and how he was most certainly developing ascites! I was less than two weeks from returning to work!

It still just strikes me how quickly his little liver failed. And how sick he was without most of us realizing it.

In an hour I will be picking up that "baby" from school. He'll run to me and try to tell me everything he did today in one breath, and he'll be running around me in circles. He'll come home, eat dinner, and play puzzles until bathtime. At bedtime, Daddy will read a book, I'll sing to him and rub his back while he settles in to sleep. And as always, when I check on him before I go to bed, I'll thank God for the miracle of my child. And maybe I'll slip in an extra kiss.

1 comment:

Andree said...

So tender are you !