Saturday, September 11, 2010

Rewarding

Mark and I have learned that punishments rarely work with Anthony, but rewarding good behavior almost always works instead. I think we've cracked a secret to parenting here! No? What do you mean you knew that already? Well, I'm shocked! I thought we were forging new territory here.

Anyway, Anthony's rewards at the end of the week for an A in conduct (Dear Lord, when did my child get old enough to get GRADES instead of just "Satisfactory Work" remarks?) are usually small and inexpensive if money is involved at all. It's usually something fun and out-of-the-ordinary that he gets to do with one or both of us. This week's reward (and I'm glad to say he worked hard to earn it!) was to make Cookies and Cream Ice Cream with his Daddy. They had fun measuring out the ingredients, and Anthony even got to pour and stir at the stove while making the custard.

The end result is delicious, and Anthony LOVED licking the ice cream beater.



No comments: