Sunday, March 09, 2008

Four Years

It's been four years since Anthony's transplant, and I can't think of a thing to say. We were going to have the grandparents and my best friend and her daughter over today for a barbecue, but Nana, Mark and I were very sick Thursday and Friday, and we're just getting our strength back.

It's been an amazing four years, though, and better than I could have ever imagined. I thought life with a post-transplanted child was going to be full of worry and fear that he would go into rejection or get sick or something even worse. Now I know that life with THIS four-year-old, who happens to be a liver transplant recipient, is NORMAL. PERFECT. WONDERFUL. EXCITING. Oh, and TIRING. :)

Amazingly, even though Anthony stayed home from school on Friday while Mark and I were sick, Anthony didn't get sick. Neither Mark nor I was in any shape to take Anthony to school, and the little scoundrel said that his "tummy had a hurt in it, and I CAN'T go to school, Mommy". I think he thought Friday would be a fun play day at home with both Mommy and Daddy. Turns out, the poor kid had to fend for himself mostly, and he did a wonderful job. I stopped throwing up (after more than 12 hours) around 9:00 Friday morning, but because of a wonderful drug prescribed by my OB, I slept most of the rest of the day. I managed to get up and warm some Mac N Cheese for Anthony's lunch (wearing gloves so as not to infect him) before collapsing back in bed. I asked Anthony to please eat his lunch, go potty, and put himself down for his nap. He did all of that, without complaint. He was such a wonderful boy all day Friday, and I felt like such a crappy mom for not even being able to make sure he was OK. I could hear him playing in his room, so I had to assume he was OK. Luckily, no one at my parents' house was hit with this nasty bug, and so they kept him Friday night for us. We were weak but OK yesterday, and are much better today.

This afternoon there is an Easter egg hunt at our church; we hope to take Anthony, but it will depend on how we're all feeling after nap time. Today deserves to be much more of a celebration than we can make of it. This little boy deserves to be celebrated for the miracle of his life.

Photobucket

8 comments:

angie said...

Anthony is looking SO grown up! It's amazing how time FLIES by isn't it. Congratulations on 4 years. Here's to many many more healthy years..for both of our kids. They are true miracles. Give Anthony a big hug from Miss Em:). I'm glad that you and Mark are feeling better!

Renee said...

Aw, what a good boy! And so handsome too. Y'all are doing something right!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I also think he looks SO grown up! I remember having spaghetti with you, your mom, and baby Anthony at that little apartment like it was yesterday. I can't believe it has been four years! He looks great! Congratulations!

=)Amanda

Lacey said...

Omg! Look at this big boy picture. He is getting so big Laurie! Sorry you were sick all weekend honey. Hope you are feeling better now. We'll have to catch up next time I'm in town. Smooches!

Sarah said...

Great Picture!

Happy Annviersary Anthony!

Stacy said...

Happy Anniversary, Anthony! I can't believe it's already been FOUR years! I remember when he was just a few months post-tx, and "meeting" your mom. It doesn't seem like four years could fly by so quickly. Hears to at least a hundred more anniversaries!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Anthony! You are an inspiration to me! XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little boy! Congratulations on this very special anniversary/birthday Anthony! God bless you all.