Saturday, April 16, 2005

A Heavy Heart

Last night I received a call from my mom. My dad's best friend passed away at 7:00 last evening. Mr. Darrell had been sick, suddenly, with a lung issue. He had been throwing up some blood, and an emergency surgery was performed to remove his right lung. He was sent home from the hospital this past Wednesday, I believe, and was expected to make a full recovery. Unfortunately, he began to feel poorly yesterday so his wife took him back to the hospital. From that point, no one is sure yet what happened. It is assumed that the threw a blood clot and died from complications from that.

What really gets me is that Mr. Darrell had so much to live for! Why did God choose to take him early? I know it's not my place to question God (and it seems I've done so much of that lately), but I'm angry. Mr. Darrell leaves behind his wife, four children (three married, one a freshman in college), and a grandson. Why would God choose now? His family deserves to have him with them. His grandson deserves to have his Opa (German for grandfather).

And at the same time, I realize that this could have easily been my father. Mr. Darrell was in good health before this lung incident. My father is in good health, too. What makes him any different from Mr. Darrell? The thought of losing my father now is unbearable.

I know one thing. I'm going to cherish every moment I have with my dad. Hug your dad today (or as soon as you can) if you're lucky enough to still have him on this Earth.

Rest peacefully in the loving arms of Jesus, Mr. Darrell. You will be so missed here.

I love you, Daddy.

No comments: